Jackie and The A~Team

LIFE'S LIKE A NOVEL WITH THE END RIPPED OUT......

Friday, October 28, 2011

RADIATION WEEK 1 THAT'S A WRAP & SO MANY THANKS!

So today I wrapped up week one of radiation, only 3 more to go. As I sit here to update my blog I have so much I want to say and don’t know where to start. It would be easier to keep a daily journal of this experience but don’t seem to have the time, I do however keep lots of notes in my phone.

I first want to say THANK YOU! To each of you, who are reading this blog, thank you for caring. Thank you for the kind notes, for the all the phone calls, text messages, flowers, plants, packages, for the rides, for the late night talks, for putting up with my ramblings, for the meals brought to the girls and me. Oh and the fruit that is my favorite, I cannot get enough fruit nothing else taste good but the fruit is YUMMY!

When I was first diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma in Situ Breast Cancer earlier this month I can remember Dr. Nolan saying didn’t your husband want to come? I said I don’t have a husband been there done that and trying to be funny said husbands are overrated. She laughed and said what about a family member that is when I knew it was serious. I left there crying thinking man I wish I did have a husband (and if you know me you know I would never say that) I wish I had someone who would help me through this, someone to hold my hand and take care of me someone to love me through this. Someone to be by my side to help me take care of my girls someone I could confide in. I don’t know many great men I would say a handful of them if that and most of them have been there when I needed them this past month and that has been a blessing!

I also remember wishing I had my family closer, my mom in particular. Things haven’t always been the best between the 2 of us. But NO MATTER WHAT she is my mom and I love her very much and know she loves me. She now plays an active roll in my daily life, with phone calls, text messages, emails, and deliveries of everything peppermint you could think of. I am so grateful for her!

And to my best friend Lisa, who always has my back, covers for me at work, listens to me cry, complain, tell bad jokes, talk about Justin Bieber and  cute boys (not in the same category) and my love for Anderson Cooper. I do not know what I would have ever done without her, her faith and strength is such a huge example and inspiration in my life.

For the sales guys at Simmons Media who help me set up and take down everything you are the best for the sports producers for covering for me when I am too tired to talk thank you!

This past Monday was my first day of 4 weeks of radiation. I walked into the cancer center at IMC and thought I sure do not belong here. I was very quiet that day did not really talk to the radiologist or tech. It’s a little awkward sitting there exposed and vulnerable in front of a stranger. They placed the markers and then started the procedure it only takes about a total of 15 minutes. I get there and changed by 10 am daily and out the door usually by 11:30 give or take a few minutes. Yesterday was the first day I actually had a conversation with the staff they are amazing and make you feel so welcome and comfortable. They do not treat you at all like you have cancer.
As for side affects I just extremely tired a few little body aches, and teeth pain. Today I am what I call sunburned. But all in all it has not been that bad!

Ductal carcinoma in Situ had a 30% chance of recurrence; therefore I must be very pro active and fight like I have never fought before and if you know me I am a pretty good fighter. So I have no doubt that in a few months from now I will be 100% Cancer Free (with new boobies)!

I guess like any other tragedy or major disappointment in life, it just takes time to adjust. Time to get over the initial shock and fears, and to learn to trust in your body, and most importantly in the lord and enjoy your life again and I am just 3 weeks away from that. I can guarantee you that my bucket list will be complete by then and you will see nothing but amazing things from me in the future!

~Jackie~

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this emotional side with all of us! As my mom fought her cancer monster twice she never shares the "truth" about her thoughts and feelings..I really wish she would! I love you and think you are so amazing! Give the "A-TEAM" a big hug from "Aunt Wendy".

    ReplyDelete